Property Information

Understanding Your Assessment

In Minnesota, property taxes provide most of the funding for local government services. Anoka County collects the taxes and distributes the money between the county, cities, townships, school districts and special districts such as the Metropolitan Council, Metropolitan Transit and the Metropolitan Mosquito Control District.

Each property’s share of taxes is determined according to it’s value, use, and the property tax levies. Responsibility for estimating property values and setting classification for tax purposes in the City of Anoka is designated to the City Assessor under the direction of the City Council.

Homesteading Your Property

Homesteading - In order to homestead property you must be the owner of property or be a qualifying relative of the owner and be a Minnesota resident who occupies the property as your principal place of residence. Homesteaded property receives substantial property tax savings.

To file for the homestead classification, applicants must make application to:
Anoka County Property Records and Taxation
2100 3rd Avenue
Anoka, MN 55303-2281

Download the Homestead Application (PDF) from Anoka County’s website.

After Approval

After initial approval, the homestead application will remain until the property is sold or the recipient no longer uses it as a primary residence. Property owners no longer eligible are required to notify the assessor within 30 days of the change.

More information on homesteading can be obtained by calling the Assessor’s Office at 763-576-2730.

Special Assessments

Special assessments are a way for cities to charge certain properties for the cost of making a local improvement, or to collect certain charges that will benefit those properties. The authority to levy special assessments is granted under Minnesota Statute, Chapter 429. The City of Anoka uses special assessments to recover a portion of the cost of street and utility reconstruction (the City of Anoka Public Works Department calculates the amount to be assessed, you may contact them at 763-576-2980). Special assessments are also used to collect costs associated with eliminating weeds, removing diseased trees, and removal of public health hazards from private property. Delinquent utility bills are also collected utilizing special assessments.

Senior Citizens and permanently and totally disabled persons may apply for deferment of assessments by contacting the City Assessor’s Office or by downloading Senior Citizen Deferral Form (PDF).