Who do I call before I dig in Anoka?

State law requires you call the Gopher State One Call center at 651-454-0002 or 800-252-1166 or simply 811 before you begin digging. All utilities (electric, phone, cable TV, gas) will locate their facilities within 48 hours of your call to the center. This is a free service. They do require 48 hours notice.

Check out our "Call Before You Dig" section for more information.

Show All Answers

1. What do I do if there is a tree or branches in, or close to, the power lines?
2. Who do I call before I dig in Anoka?
3. How do I report a street light out in Anoka?
4. Can I pay my AMU bill online?
5. How do I make payment arrangements if needed?
6. What happens if I can't pay my bill by my due date?
7. How do I read my AMU bill?
8. How can I try to Save Energy and Lower my electric bill?
9. Where can I find Electrical Rebate information?
10. How can I Go Green affordably in my home?
11. What is Clean Energy and why would I want to choose this option?
12. How far away from the power lines should I plant my trees?
13. What provider does the City of Anoka use for recycling?
14. Is there a place to check if something can be recycled or not?
15. What does AMU stand for?
16. What are AMU's business hours?
17. What might I need to know about adding Solar Power to my home?